Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Charles Sylvester Stephenson of Kansas

Here is a portrait of my maternal grandfather, Charles Sylvester Stephenson. He was a proud man, and yet gentle and loving. I can tell this from his photos. I don't remember meeting him, and he died when I was two years old. But I know that I did meet him, because I have a photo of me sitting on his lap. He and his wife, my grandmother, M. Elizabeth, were laughing. They were a happy family, despite encountering much hardship.
Charles Sylvester was born at the family's homestead in Washington County, Indiana. Generations of their family had lived there. He was born on November 8, 1881. When he was very young, his father, William Francis, moved the family to Hazelton, Kansas, and they settled there. There was a homestead and many acres of land dedicated to raising cattle. As a young man, "Ves" worked the farm in the summers and worked for the Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad in the winters.

He met  Mary Elizabeth Hardesty of Delphos, Kansas, and married her on September 23, 1907. They had long lives, many children, and much happiness. They endured the Depression, the Dust Bowl, and many challenges together. Here is a photo of the family.

The older children are at left and the younger children are at right. My mother, Phyllis, was the youngest child at right. The photo looks like it was taken at Hazelton, but they must have just been visiting then. Records indicate they moved to Wichita, Kansas in 1930.

No comments:

Post a Comment